Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

вторник

MOSCOW (AP) — Two Russian journalists for a Russian state-owned TV channel died Tuesday in eastern Ukraine after being hit by mortar fire, the Rossiya 24 network said.

Correspondent Igor Kornelyuk, 37, died during surgery in a hospital after being wounded while on assignment in Luhansk. The whereabouts of the sound engineer who was with him were unknown throughout the day, but in late evening the network announced that Anton Voloshin had been confirmed dead as well.

Russian officials expressed indignation over the deaths. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said the Ukrainian government should be held responsible, while Russia's federal investigative agency announced the opening of a criminal case.

Viktor Denisov, a cameraman working with Kornelyuk, said in a television broadcast that they were filming Ukrainian refugees fleeing the area north of the regional capital when mortar fire began. Denisov was not next to Kornelyuk when he was wounded.

Before the announcement of Voloshin's death, the Paris-based media advocacy group Reporters Without Borders said Kornelyuk was the fourth journalist to be killed in Ukraine since the start of the year.

"The violence affecting journalists in Ukraine is reaching unprecedented levels. We again call on the belligerents to do whatever is necessary to protect journalists as required by international law," said Johann Bihr, head of the Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk for the France-based organization.

The deaths of the journalists prompted the divided U.N. Security Council, where Russia holds veto power, to issue its first statement on Ukraine's crisis. The council offered condolences to the families of the journalists killed and called for a thorough investigation into violence against media workers. The statement also noted the deaths of an Italian photojournalist and his Russian interpreter on May 24.

Ukraine's U.N. ambassador, Yuriy Sergeyev said Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko expressed condolences to the families of the Russian journalists and ordered an investigation of the circumstances of their deaths.

What is known about the deaths, Sergeyev said, is that Tuesday morning a group of "terrorists" attacked Ukrainian law enforcement troops near Luhansk. He said the troops responded, and in the fighting, 10 "terrorists" were killed and many injured. Only at the hospital was it determined that Kornulyuk was a Russian journalist, the ambassador said.

"It is not clear if he entered Ukraine legally or not, but he didn't follow the instructions to all the journalists to be accredited," to be identified as journalists, and to wear armored vests and helmets, Sergeyev told reporters.

"They didn't follow that so they performed at their own risks," he said.

The deadly conflict in eastern Ukraine between pro-Russia separatist rebels and the government in Kiev has been raging for nearly two months. On Monday, Poroshenko pledged to propose a peace plan this week to bring a cease-fire to the east, but said the porous border with Russia had to be secured first.

Ukraine accuses Russia of supporting the rebels, and the United States and NATO say tanks and other heavy weapons have crossed from Russia into the hands of rebels in Ukraine.

Russia has denied sending any weapons or troops, and the rebels said the few tanks they had were seized from Ukrainian forces.

Cash-strapped Ukraine was due to receive 500 million euros ($680 million) on Tuesday from the European Union to help stabilize the country and shore up its ailing economy. EU Economics Commissioner Olli Rehn said the loan was "a further concrete sign of European solidarity."

The money from the 28-nation bloc is part of a wider EU package aimed at helping Ukraine reform its economy to boost growth and increase jobs.

The EU sent Ukraine 100 million euros ($1.35 million) last month and has another 1 billion euros ($1.35 billion) lined up for it, provided Ukraine meets milestones on economic and financial reforms.

__

Associated Press writers Juergen Baetz in Brussels, Elaine Ganley in Paris and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed to this report.

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — An adolescent boy found the mummified body of a man hanging in a closet while exploring what appeared to be an abandoned house in western Ohio.

The director of the Montgomery County coroner's office in Dayton says the body found Sunday had the hardened, leathery appearance of a mummy because 53-year-old Edward Brunton's (BRUHN'-tons) tissue had dried up and was preserved in his home's cold, dark conditions.

Director Ken Betz says Brunton was homeless before inheriting money from his mother to buy the house in October 2009 and probably died soon after that. Betz says Brunton's death was ruled a suicide caused by hanging by the neck.

Betz says Brunton's house appeared vacant and the property was overgrown with weeds and posted with city cleanup warnings.

BERLIN (AP) — A cheap brand of Chinese-made smartphones carried by major online retailers comes preinstalled with espionage software, a German security firm said Tuesday.

G Data Software said it found malicious code hidden deep in the propriety software of the Star N9500 when it ordered the handset from a website late last month. The find is the latest in a series of incidents where smartphones have appeared preloaded with malicious software.

G Data spokesman Thorsten Urbanski said his firm bought the phone after getting complaints about it from several customers. He said his team spent more than a week trying to trace the handset's maker without success.

"The manufacturer is not mentioned," he said. "Not in the phone, not in the documentation, nothing else."

The Associated Press found the phone for sale on several major retail websites, offered by an array of companies listed in Shenzhen, in southern China. It could not immediately find a reference to the phone's manufacturer.

G Data said the spyware it found on the N9500 could allow a hacker to steal personal data, place rogue calls, or turn on the phone's camera and microphone. G Data said the stolen information was sent to a server in China.

Bjoern Rupp, chief executive of the Berlin-based mobile security consultancy firm GSMK, said such cases are more common than people think. Last fall, German cellphone service provider E-Plus found malicious software on some handsets delivered to customers of its Base brand.

"We have to assume that such incidents will increasingly occur, for different commercial and other reasons," said Rupp.

___

Satter reported from London.

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Eccentric Texas businessman-turned-artist Stanley Marsh 3, whose partially buried row of Cadillacs became a road-side tourist attraction in the 1970s, died Tuesday. He was 76.

Marsh, long known in his hometown of Amarillo as a prankster and philanthropist but who faced indictment alleging he molested teenage boys late in life, died in Amarillo, criminal attorney Paul Nugent said.

An heir to his family's oil-and-gas fortune, Marsh was a quirky but successful banker and television executive. But he was best known for his art, most notably "Cadillac Ranch," a row of 10 graffiti-splattered cars seemingly standing on their noses along Interstate 40 west of Amarillo.

The display, which will celebrate its 40th anniversary Saturday, quickly became a tourist attraction after Marsh commissioned the Ant Farm, a radical art and design collective, to build it in 1974. The cars — acquired from junkyards, private owners and used car lots — were moved a mile west in 1997.

In 2012, when Marsh was 74, several lawsuits were filed alleging he'd paid two boys, ages 15 and 16 at the time, for sexual acts. He settled the lawsuits the next year, but was indicted two months later on charges that accused him of sexually assaulting six teenagers in recent years. Marsh denied the allegations and vowed to fight them in court. No trial date had been set.

Marsh's creations include a mesa painted to look as if it were floating and a football field-sized pool table hidden in the Panhandle terrain that only could be seen from the air. Hundreds of his mock road signs popped up in Amarillo neighborhoods, bearing such slogans as "Big Deal" and "My Grandmother Can Whip Your Grandmother."

"Amarillo has lost a bit of its color," longtime friend Wyatt McSpadden said. "He certainly enlivened what might have been a kind of dull place."

But Marsh, whose health had deteriorated in recent years after a series of strokes, had been pulling pranks in Amarillo long before.

"By nature I'm an introvert, and I'm a shy person," Marsh once said. "When I do these stunts, which cause a great deal of attention, I can kind of shift gears and act like a master of ceremonies."

Marsh was born on Jan. 31, 1938, in Amarillo. His father and grandfather made their fortunes in the oil and gas business, but Marsh didn't follow in their footsteps. His given name was Stanley Marsh "III," but he changed it to "3" because he thought the former was pretentious.

His creative bent began as a child and included carving swords and painting with watercolors, prompting some to tell him that made him an artist.

"It's a lot better to be an artist than to be just somebody who makes things, so I said, 'Of course I'm an artist,'" he told The Associated Press in 2009.

He earned his bachelor's degree in economics and master's degree in American civilization from the University of Pennsylvania. He and his wife, Wendy, adopted five children and had numerous grandchildren, and lived in Toad Hall, a 300-acre estate on the outskirts of Amarillo.

He returned to Amarillo after college in the late 1960s and impressed those who knew him as a prankster with his business skills by heading a local bank. In 1967, using some family money, Marsh purchased KVII-TV and turned it into the city's top-rated television station within a few years.

Marsh sold the station in 2002 but continued to go to his office and pursue artistic endeavors.

In 1975, Marsh showed up at the Washington bribery trial of then-U.S. Treasury Secretary John Connally, a Texan accused in a milk-price scandal, dressed in a fringe Western jacket and carrying a pail of cow dung.

Despite such antics, Marsh said he considered himself mature and responsible, a "leader of men who is doing what I want to do, and more people should be like me."

But some felt he went too far.

In 1994, Marsh was accused of locking a local teenager in a chicken coop and threatening him with a hammer for stealing one of the hundreds of diamond-shaped street signs he'd placed around town, some of which read: "Steal This Sign." Marsh later pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors.

Although his art and shenanigans were often public, Marsh said he never wanted to be figured out. In 1994, he said he wanted his epitaph to read in part: "Thanks, everybody. I had a good time."

Blog Archive