Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

четверг

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A man who is on death row for killing 10 women in the Los Angeles area was convicted Thursday of four more murders.

Chester Turner, 47, was convicted of strangling the women in South Los Angeles between 1987 and 1997. Prosecutors said DNA evidence linked him to the killings.

Jurors deliberated less than a day before finding the former pizza deliveryman guilty of first-degree murder with special allegations that make him eligible for the death penalty, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

Turner had been convicted and sentenced to death in 2007 for killing 10 women, including one who was pregnant. He also was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for killing the woman's unborn baby.

Authorities say Turner was one of at least three serial killers who stalked Los Angeles-area women during a crack cocaine epidemic in the 1980s and 1990s that led some women into prostitution to support their drug habits.

The attacks were dubbed the "Southside Slayer" killings before authorities concluded more than one attacker was involved.

Two years ago, Michael Hughes was sentenced to death for strangling a 15-year-old girl and two women. He previously got life for four killings.

Former mechanic Lonnie Franklin Jr. has pleaded not guilty to 10 so-called "Grim Sleeper" killings and the attempted murder of another woman that took place between 1985 and 2007. The victims were strangled or shot and dumped in alleys near his South Los Angeles home.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A conservation group sued the Obama administration Thursday over a new federal rule that allows wind-energy companies to seek approval to kill or injure eagles for 30 years.

The group argues that the rule, which extended by 25 years the length of time companies may kill or injure eagles without fear of prosecution, is illegal because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service failed to evaluate the consequences and ensure it would not damage eagle populations. The Obama administration classified the rule as an administrative change, excluding it from a full environmental review.

"In the government's rush to expand wind energy, shortcuts were taken in implementing this rule that should not have been allowed," said Michael Hutchins, the national coordinator of the conservancy's wind energy program.

Under President Barack Obama, wind energy has exploded as a pollution-free energy source that can help reduce the gases blamed for global warming. But it is not without environmental costs.

An AP investigation last year documented dozens of eagle deaths at wind farms, findings later confirmed by federal biologists. Each one is a violation of federal law, but the Obama administration to date has prosecuted only one company, Duke Energy Corp., for killing 14 eagles and 149 other birds at two Wyoming wind farms.

The wind energy industry sought the change to reduce its liability.

The industry said the rule helps protect eagles because, in exchange for legal protection for the lifespan of wind farms and other projects, companies obtaining permits would be required to make efforts to avoid killing protected birds.

The permits would be reviewed every five years and adjusted if necessary. But the conservancy in its lawsuit claims those reviews would be internal and not subject to public input.

Wind farms are clusters of turbines as tall as 30-story buildings, with spinning rotors as wide as a passenger jet's wingspan. Though the blades appear to move slowly, they can reach speeds of up to 170 mph at the tips, creating tornado-like vortexes.

No wind energy company has obtained permission authorizing the killing, injuring or harassment of eagles, although five-year permits have been available since 2009. That has put the companies at legal risk and has discouraged private investment in renewable energy.

The Fish and Wildlife Service said Wednesday it would not comment on pending or ongoing litigation.

The lawsuit was filed Thursday in federal court in San Jose, California.

___

Follow Dina Cappiello on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dinacappiello

NEW YORK (AP) — Gerry Goffin, a prolific and multi-dimensional lyricist who with his then-wife and songwriting partner Carole King wrote such hits as "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," "Up on the Roof" and "The Loco-Motion," died early Thursday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 75.

His wife, Michelle Goffin, confirmed his death.

Goffin, who married King in 1959, penned more than 50 top 40 hits, including "Pleasant Valley Sunday" for the Monkees, "Crying in the Rain" by the Everly Brothers, "Some Kind of Wonderful" for the Drifters and "Take Good Care of My Baby" by Bobby Vee. Goffin was able to pen jokey lyrics or achingly sad ones, and he did it for solo artists and multiple voices.

Louise Goffin, one of his daughters, said her dad "wore his heart on his sleeve, and I am deeply blessed to have had a father who could so easily make the world laugh and cry with just a spiral notebook and a pen."

King and Goffin divorced in 1968, but Goffin kept writing hits, including "Savin' All My Love for You" for Whitney Houston. Goffin and King were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1987 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three years later.

King said in a statement that Goffin was her "first love" and had a "profound impact" on her life.

"Gerry was a good man with a dynamic force, whose words and creative influence will resonate for generations to come," King said. "His words expressed what so many people were feeling but didn't know how to say."

Goffin's lyrics could veer from romantic to defiant to silly. In "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," he touchingly wrote, "Tonight with words unspoken/You say that I'm the only one/But will my heart be broken?/When the night meets the morning sun?"

But there was an undercurrent of sadness in his song "Up on the Roof," where the lyrics go: "When this old world starts getting me down/and people are just too much for me to face/I climb way up to the top of the stairs/and all my cares just drift right into space."

The Goffin-King love affair is the subject of the Tony Award-nominated musical "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical" on Broadway. King, while backing the project and with one of their daughters acting as a producer, had avoided seeing it for months because it dredged up sad memories. She finally sat through it in April.

The musical shows the two composing their songs — and competing against the formidable rival team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil — at Aldon Music, the Brill Building publishing company in Manhattan that also employed Neil Sedaka, Howard Greenfield and Carole Bayer Sager.

The show ends just as King is enjoying fame for her groundbreaking solo album "Tapestry." Though it also alleges Goffin's womanizing and mental instability were causes of the breakup, he happily attended the opening of the musical. A spokeswoman for the show said the cast would dedicate Thursday night's performance to Goffin.

After his divorce from King, Goffin garnered an Academy Award nomination with Michael Masser for the theme to the 1975 film "Mahogany" for Diana Ross. He also earned a Golden Globe nomination for "So Sad the Song" in 1977 from the film "Pipe Dreams."

Goffin was born in Brooklyn in 1939 and was working as an assistant chemist when he met King at Queens College.

"She was interested in writing rock 'n' roll, and I was interested in writing this Broadway play," Goffin told Vanity Fair in 2001. "So we had an agreement where she would write (music) to the play if I would write (lyrics) to some of her rock 'n' roll melodies. And eventually it came to be a boy-and-girl relationship. Eventually I began to lose heart in my play, and we stuck to writing rock 'n' roll."

A whirlwind romance led to a marriage and their first hit, when she was only 17 and he was 20, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" for the Shirelles, which a pregnant King helped write while suffering morning sickness.

Both quit their day jobs to focus on music, and other songs followed, including "Up on the Roof" for the Drifters, "One Fine Day" for the Chiffons and "Chains," which was later covered by the Beatles. Goffin also collaborated with Mann on the hit "Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp Bomp Bomp Bomp)." King and Goffin wrote "The Loco-Motion," which eventually was sung by their one-time baby sitter Little Eva.

Goffin continued co-writing songs, including "I've Got to Use My Imagination" recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips, and "It's Not the Spotlight," recorded by Rod Stewart. In the 1980s and '90s, he co-wrote "Tonight I Celebrate My Love," a duet recorded by Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack, "Miss You Like Crazy" sung by Natalie Cole" and the Whitney Houston mega-hit "Savin' All My Love for You."

"Gerry was one of the greatest lyricists of all time and my true soul brother. I was privileged to have had him in my personal and professional life," said pianist and composer Barry Goldberg, who wrote many later songs with Goffin.

Goffin is survived by his five children and his wife.

___

Follow Mark Kennedy on Twitter at http://twitter.com/KennedyTwits

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House moved toward passage of a $570 billion defense spending bill that imposes new restrictions on President Barack Obama's handling of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and requires congressional approval for sustained military action in Iraq.

Republicans and some Democrats have repeatedly blocked any effort to shutter the post-Sept. 11 prison to house terror suspects, and congressional furor over Obama's trade last month of five Taliban leaders for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl prompted a bipartisan effort to add new obstacles.

The administration exchanged Bergdahl, held captive by the Taliban since 2009, for five Taliban officials who had been at Guantanamo for more than a decade. The five were sent to Qatar, where they are to remain for a year.

Lawmakers were outraged that Obama failed to notify Congress of the exchange within 30 days, as required by law. The bill would bar 85 percent of the funds in the account for overseas conflicts until Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel reassures Congress that congressional notification on Guantanamo transfers will be respected.

During debate on Thursday, the House added another limit on the president's handling of detainees, voting 238-179 for an amendment by Rep. Jackie Walorski, R-Ind., that would bar funds for transferring Guantanamo detainees to Yemen.

The legislation for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1 would provide the funds for military operations, including actions in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as weapons and military personnel. The White House has objected to the legislation, complaining about the Guantanamo restrictions and attempts to spare weapons from Pentagon cost-cutters.

Wary of U.S. re-engagement in Iraq three years after combat troops left, two Democrats — Rep. John Garamendi of California and Colleen Hanabusa of Hawaii — won voice vote approval for an amendment requiring the president to seek congressional approval for sustained military action in Iraq.

"This miscalculation is not worth repeating," Hanabusa said of Iraq during the debate. The vote came hours after Obama announced that he would dispatch up to 300 military advisers to help quell the growing insurgency in Iraq.

Garamendi said Obama's efforts to boost security at the U.S. embassy in Baghdad should require no congressional action, but he said unmanned air strikes amount to an act of war and need approval.

"There are many people in the House of Representatives that are deeply concerned about the slippery slope that we are apparently about to step on," Garamendi said in an interview.

Other House Democrats directly challenged Obama's authority as commander in chief, with lawmakers asserting that their efforts reflected a war-weary nation after more than a decade of conflict, thousands of American lives lost and billions of dollars spent.

Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., offered two amendments to bar funds for combat operations in Iraq and prevent money from being spent under the 2002 law authorizing military force in Iraq.

"It's time to get out and stay out," said Rep. Rick Nolan, D-Minn.

Democrats blamed the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and insisted that the sectarian violence is his problem. The U.S. military had done its job. "We have trained these people up the wazoo," said Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn.

Republican Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen of New Jersey argued against the measure, warning that it would tie the president's hands.

"We have to be realistic," he said, "this would end the possibility of us engaging in any circumstances."

The House was scheduled to vote late Thursday on the amendments.

Republicans sought to add another roadblock to Obama's push to close Guantanamo.

An amendment by Rep. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., would bar any transfers of detainees to their native country or another nation for a year. Cotton said the moratorium was necessary so Congress could investigate "the president's lawless release of the Taliban five."

Cotton said the current Guantanamo population of 149 is "not goat-herders. These are the worst of the worst."

Rep. Peter Visclosky, D-Ind., countered that no one in the administration is even talking about transferring the worst enemy combatants, among them Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-professed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attack. He complained that the measure would prevent the president from transferring detainees already cleared for movement.

A vote was slated for late Thursday.

The overall spending bill would provide a 1.8 percent pay raise for military personnel, more than the 1 percent that the Obama administration proposed, and accepts the Pentagon's plan to retire A-10 Warthog, the close air support aircraft popular in Congress.

Blog Archive