Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

четверг

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — Palestinian hospital officials say a 15-year-old Palestinian was killed and three were seriously wounded by Israeli army fire during the latest West Bank arrest raids.

The raids are part of a massive search for three Israeli teenagers believed to have been abducted in the West Bank last week. Israel has blamed the Islamic militant Hamas, without offering proof.

Palestinian youths threw stones early on Friday when soldiers entered the town of Dura, drawing army fire. A hospital official says the teen was killed by a bullet in the chest.

Another hospital official says three Palestinians were wounded by army fire in the Qalandiya refugee camp.

Both hospital officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

The army had no immediate comment.

CLEVELAND (AP) — A person familiar with the decision says the Cavaliers have offered successful European coach David Blatt their coaching job and are discussing a contract.

After an exhaustive, five-week search, the Cavs zeroed in on Blatt and are in negotiations with him, said the person who spoke Thursday night to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team is not commenting.

Yahoo! first reported Cleveland's offer to Blatt.

The 55-year-old Blatt recently resigned as coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv, this year's Euroleague champions, to pursue his dream of coaching in the NBA. He was coveted as an assistant by Minnesota and Golden State.

Blatt, who was born in Massachusetts and played at Princeton, is regarded as one of the game's best offensive strategists. Cavs general manager David Griffin set out to find an offensive-minded coach after the club fired Mike Brown on May 12.

As police helicopters hovered overhead, Spain's new king rolled up to parliament in a chauffeured Rolls-Royce.

Felipe VI saluted Spanish troops lined up outside, as the country's national anthem blasted from speakers. He wore a navy blue military uniform and a red sash, representing the highest rank in Spain's armed forces. It had been bestowed upon him an hour earlier, by his father.

He ducked inside parliament, took an oath and was proclaimed king. It was the first-ever royal handover in Spain's democratic era.

The 46-year-old Felipe is a fresh face for Spain's monarchy, beset by recent scandals. One of the princesses is accused of embezzling public money. The outgoing king, Juan Carlos, has a 38 percent approval rating, in part because of a rather expensive elephant hunting trip he took to Africa two years ago, while Spain was mired in recession. One in four Spaniards is still out of work.

Felipe will have to deal with a wounded Spanish economy, regions that want to break away from Madrid's control and dwindling support for the Spanish monarchy itself.

"Long live the king! Long live Spain!" lawmakers shouted during Thursday's special joint session of parliament.

Despite that pomp, the ceremony was relatively no-frills. No foreign royals nor heads of state were invited. No golden crown was placed on the new monarch's head.

Felipe's mother, Queen Sofia, beamed from a parliamentary balcony. But his father and one sister were not present for that part of the ceremony.

"A renovated monarchy for a new age. I'll work with energy, hope and an open spirit," Felipe promised, visibly emotional, his voice cracking several times. "There is room for all of us in a united and diverse Spain."

He ended his speech by saying 'thank you' in Spain's four official languages: Castilian Spanish, Basque, Catalan and Galician.

The presidents of Catalonia and the Basque Country — both autonomous regions inside Spain that are lobbying for independence — attended the king's speech Thursday but refused to applaud, according to Spanish media.

i i

SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego County authorities have filed new charges against a suspected vandal they believe scrawled graffiti in the courtroom where he was being prosecuted.

U-T San Diego (http://bit.ly/1nio9f4 ) says sheriff's deputies searched 18-year-old Francisco Canseco's San Diego home and found evidence linking him to the tagging.

He pleaded not guilty to five felony counts of vandalism this week and remained jailed Thursday.

The city attorney's office says Canseco was in court in April to face misdemeanor charges of vandalism and possessing tagging tools.

Graffiti was found on courtroom chairs and hallway benches a day after he appeared. Sheriff's Detective Mark Milton says investigators used a database to match the tags with Canseco's moniker.

Authorities reached Thursday night didn't know if Canseco has an attorney who could be reached for comment.

___

Information from: U-T San Diego, http://www.utsandiego.com

Blog Archive