Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

четверг

TERESOPOLIS, Brazil (AP) — The Brazilian football federation says hackers momentarily took down its website on Thursday.

The federation said that although the site was quickly restored, it remained unstable for some time while technicians worked on it.

Federation spokesman Rodrigo Paiva said before a press conference that the "site is a little slow because it has been under attack."

The federation said technicians were still trying to identify those responsible for the attack.

Paiva didn't think the attack was related to the national team's performance in the World Cup.

The federation said extra measures had been put in place to avoid hacker attacks on its site during the World Cup.

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraqi soldiers and helicopter gunships battled Sunni militants for a third day on Thursday for control of Iraq's largest oil refinery, the loss of which would be a devastating symbol of the Baghdad government's powerlessness in the face of a determined insurgency hostile to the West.

The two sides held different parts of the Beiji facility, which extends over several square kilometers of desert. The facility, which was shut down, normally produces about 300,000 barrels per day, strictly for domestic consumption.

The militants, led by the al-Qaida-inspired Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, clearly hope to get millions of dollars in revenue from operating the refinery — as they did for a while after seizing oil fields in neighboring Syria. More broadly, however, capturing the facility could weaken Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's hold on power by calling into question his ability to stop the militants' advance anywhere in Iraq.

In the strongest sign yet of U.S. doubts about Iraq's stability, the Obama administration is weighing whether to press the Shiite prime minister to step down in a last-ditch effort to prevent disgruntled Sunnis from igniting a civil war.

President Barack Obama is also expected to announce Thursday that he is deploying about 100 Green Berets to Iraq to help train and advise Iraqi forces, according to a U.S. official. The president has said he has no plans to send Americans to Iraq for combat missions.

Obama planned to speak about the crumbling situation in Iraq from the White House Thursday afternoon after meeting with his national security team.

A witness who drove past the Beiji facility, some 250 kilometers (155 miles) north of Baghdad, said the militants manned checkpoints around it and hung their black banners on watchtowers. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he feared reprisals.

One of the militants laying siege to the refinery confirmed by telephone that the facility remained in government hands, saying helicopter gunships slowed the insurgents' advance. The militant identified himself only by his alias, Abu Anas, and there was no way to verify his identity or location.

The army officer in charge of protecting the refinery, Col. Ali al-Qureishi, told state-run Iraqiya television by telephone that the facility remained under his control. He said his forces had killed nearly 100 militants since Tuesday.

A top Iraqi security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the refinery's workers were evacuated to nearby villages.

Photos obtained by The Associated Press showed the charred skeletons of destroyed army vehicles by a road that runs past the facility. The photos, taken Thursday morning, also show U.S.-made Humvees captured by the militants flying the black banners and the heavily armed militants manning a checkpoint. In the background, heavy black smoke rises up from the refinery.

The facility's production accounts for just over a quarter of the country's entire refining capacity. It goes strictly toward domestic consumption for gasoline as well as fuel for cooking and power stations.

The gasoline largely goes to northern Iraq, and its closure this week has already caused a shortage there. In Irbil, a city controlled by ethnic Kurds, lines stretched for miles at gas stations as angry motorists shouted at each other.

"Everybody in Mosul and the (northern) Nineva province is coming to Kurdistan to fill up on gas," said a resident of a village near Mosul who gave his name as Mohammed. "And they don't have enough here."

Electricity also went out in some areas held by the Islamic State.

The assault on the refinery also has affected global gasoline prices, as the U.S. national average price reached $3.68 per gallon, the highest price for this time of year since 2008, the year gasoline hit its all-time high in America.

It isn't clear what the insurgents would do if they fully captured Beiji. In Syria, the Islamic State has control of some smaller oil fields, but government air raids have limited their ability to profit from them. Militants have, however, refined oil into usable fuel products at primitive refineries.

The campaign by the Islamic State militants has raised the specter of the sectarian warfare that nearly tore the country apart in 2006 and 2007, with the popular mobilization to fight the insurgents taking an increasingly sectarian slant, particularly after Iraq's top Shiite cleric made a call to arms on Friday.

The Islamic State has vowed to march to Baghdad and the Shiite holy cities of Karbala and Najaf, home to some of the sect's most revered shrines, in the worst threat to Iraq's stability since U.S. troops left in late 2011. The militants also have tried to capture Samarra, a city north of Baghdad and home to another major Shiite shrine.

On Thursday, the bullet-riddled bodies of four handcuffed men, presumably Sunnis, were discovered in the Shiite Baghdad district of Abu Dashir, police and morgue officials said. A roadside bomb hit a police patrol on a highway in the east of the city, killing two police officers and wounding two, police and hospital officials said.

A car bomb also exploded inside a parking lot in Baghdad's southeastern Shiite neighborhood of New Baghdad, killing three people and wounding seven, the officials said.

All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the journalists.

Al-Maliki, who has long faced criticism for not making his government more inclusive, went on a diplomatic offensive Wednesday, reaching out in a televised address to try to regain support from the nation's disaffected Sunnis and Kurds.

Still, al-Maliki's outreach remain largely rhetoric, with no concrete action to bridge differences with the Sunnis or the Kurds, who have been at loggerheads with the prime minister over their right to independently export oil from their self-rule region in the north and over territorial claims.

The United Arab Emirates, a key Western ally and important regional trading partner for Iraq, temporarily withdrew its ambassador from Iraq "for consultations." The Gulf federation's foreign ministry cited deep concern at the Iraqi government's "exclusionary and sectarian policies," according to a statement carried Wednesday night by the state news agency WAM.

The statement is likely to further stoke tensions between al-Maliki's Shite-led government and Sunni-ruled Gulf Arab states, particularly Sunni powerhouse Saudi Arabia. The Baghdad government has this week accused Riyadh of meddling in its internal affairs, responding to a Saudi Cabinet statement Monday that blamed "exclusion and marginalization" policies in Iraq for the ongoing crisis. Iraq also accuses Qatar of interfering in its affairs.

___

Associated Press writers Diaa Hadid in Irbil, Iraq; Adam Schreck in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Zeina Karam in Beirut; Lara Jakes and Julie Pace in Washington; and Jonathan Fahey in New York contributed to this report.

SAO PAULO (AP) — Dropping to the turf on the left knee that was surgically repaired less than a month ago, Uruguay striker Luis Suarez was euphoric. Scoring a second goal against England sealed a 2-1 win on Thursday to revive Uruguay's World Cup campaign and cap a remarkable recovery.

But it meant even more than that to the Liverpool player. Vilified after being banned by the English Football Association for racially abusing one opponent and biting another in two separate incidents in the Premier League, Suarez seemed to revel in inflicting England's second successive loss in Brazil.

"I dreamt this," Suarez said at the Itaquerao Stadium. "I'm enjoying this moment, because of all I suffered, the criticism I received. So, there you go."

English hopes of advancing from Group D to the round of 16 are now in real jeopardy after the team's worst World Cup start in more than half a century. While England is stuck on zero points, Uruguay is off the mark after Suarez made an instant impact on his return from surgery.

"Before the game, too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years," Suarez said. "This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now."

Of Uruguay's six efforts on target, five were from Suarez — including the two that beat goalkeeper Joe Hart as England's slack defending was exploited.

Suarez headed Uruguay in front before halftime and, after seeing his opener canceled out by Wayne Rooney's first-ever World Cup goal, lashed in the winner in the 85th minute.

"It's a demonstration of my strength," Suarez said. "There were many doubts about my physical condition, but ... in these games, I can be brave and show courage."

Having also lost against Italy, England now faces the prospect of not advancing from the group stage for the first time since 1958.

"We are a team that is making progress but results decide everything and both results have been negative," coach Roy Hodgson said.

"Our chances (of progressing) are unbelievably slim," added Hodgson, who is relying on Italy to beat Costa Rica on Friday and Uruguay on Tuesday.

Group D leader Italy, Costa Rica and Uruguay all have three points.

In England, Suarez has stepped up a level and powered in the goals that saw him voted the Premier League's best player last season. And despite lacking sharpness at times, he still managed to recapture the scoring form that helped Liverpool finish second last season with 31 goals.

On Thursday, Suarez was in the thick of the action in the opening minutes against an edgy England side, drawing an early save from Hart after a cross-shot.

"We are normally used to seeing him much more active in and around our penalty area than we saw him today," Hodgson said.

When Suarez did break forward, though, he was a real menace.

Suarez's first goal came in the 39th when Diego Godin picked up possession on the halfway line and sprayed it to Edinson Cavani on the left. Suarez easily evaded Phil Jagielka to head over Hart, seizing on defensive lapses just as Mario Balotelli did in Italy's win.

"Maybe a few days ago I thought this wouldn't be possible," Suarez said.

But anything is possible in football — even Rooney finally scoring at a World Cup, tapping the ball home from close range in the 75th minute after connecting with Glen Johnson's pass.

But it was rendered meaningless by Suarez's devastating final touch.

Suarez's Liverpool teammate, England captain Steven Gerrard, tried to clear a long punt by Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera, and the ball glanced off the head of midfielder and back toward his own goal. Suarez ran onto it and beat Hart with a shot from close range before wheeling off to celebrate raising two fingers in the air.

Suarez, for all his glee about beating England, did express sympathy for Gerrard, whose slip during the Premier League run-in led to them both missing out on the title.

"He's the best player I've played with on the pitch," Suarez said. "This is an unlucky moment for him. I don't like it when he hurts like this."

___

Uruguay: Fernando Muslera; Martin Caceres, Jose Gimenez, Diego Godin; Alvaro Pereira, Alvaro Gonzalez (Jorge Fucile, 79), Egidio Arevalo, Cristian Rodriguez, Nicolas Lodeiro (Christian Stuani, 67); Luis Suarez (Sebastian Coates), Edinson Cavani.

England: Joe Hart; Glen Johnson, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines; Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson (Rickie Lambert, 87), Raheem Sterling (Ross Barkley, 64); Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck (Adam Lallana, 71), Daniel Sturridge.

___

Aron Heller contributed to this report.

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — Part of a lawsuit against NBC Universal that claims that the television network defamed George Zimmerman in a 2012 broadcast was thrown out by a Florida judge Thursday, putting the entire litigation in jeopardy.

Zimmerman's attorneys waited too long under Florida statute to ask NBC to retract what it claimed were libelous statements in a March 19, 2012, broadcast that they said made their client sound like a racist, Seminole County Circuit Judge Debra Nelson ruled. Zimmerman was not at the hearing.

The statute requires five days written notice identifying potentially libelous statements. A letter claiming the network edited Zimmerman's 911 call to police to make it sound like he was a racist was sent to network executives on Dec. 4, 2012.

Three other NBC broadcasts from March 20, 22 and 27, that included the reference are still in question, but the judge said she had to do more homework on the issues before making a final decision.

The defamation case had been postponed pending the conclusion of Zimmerman's murder trial in July 2012. The 30-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer was acquitted of second-degree murder in 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's February 2012 death in Sanford. The case took on a life of its own, with questions raised about race and Florida's "stand your ground" defense law.

Zimmerman's attorney, James Beasley Jr., identified not just negligent reporting by NBC, but apologies the network made acknowledging problems in the four broadcasts. The editing made it sound like Zimmerman voluntarily told an operator that Martin was black. He was actually responding to a dispatcher's question about the Miami teen's race. Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic.

NBC apologized on April 3, 2012, for "an error in the production process" and fired a reporter and a producer afterward.

Beasley accused NBC of "manipulating Zimmerman's own words." The edited recordings included multiple deletions and removal of some of the dialogue between Zimmerman and the dispatcher.

Attorneys for NBC also argued that Zimmerman was both a "limited purpose" public figure and an "involuntary" public figure when the broadcasts occurred. Defamation law gives news organizations wide protections when covering public figures, who must prove that the news organization acted with malice and knowledge that the allegations were false.

Blog Archive