Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

пятница

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — Israeli soldiers killed two Palestinians, including a 13-year-old, in clashes during West Bank raids Friday, as a search for three Israeli teens feared abducted in the territory entered its second week.

Two other Palestinians were seriously wounded by army gunfire during raids in four towns and refugee camps. The two Palestinians killed Friday raised to three the number of Palestinians shot dead by troops during search operations this week.

The three Jewish seminary students disappeared June 12 while hitchhiking in the West Bank. Israel has blamed the Islamic militant Hamas group for the apparent abduction, but has offered no proof.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has used the search to promote two other objectives — a new crackdown on Hamas and an attempt to discredit the Palestinian unity government formed earlier this month by Western-backed President Mahmoud Abbas, which is supported by Hamas.

Hamas has praised the abduction of the teenagers but has not claimed responsibility for it. The group has abducted Israelis in the past to press for the release of thousands of Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.

In Hebron, families of Palestinians arrested recently in Israeli raids protested after weekly Muslim prayers. They gestured with three fingers, one for each missing teen, in a sign of their support for the abduction.

The gesture has become popular on social media among Palestinians and others who support the abductions of the teens.

Over the past week, thousands of Israeli troops have searched hundreds of locations in the West Bank and arrested more than 300 Palestinians, many from Hamas.

The Israeli military said it conducted raids in four towns and refugee camps early Friday, detaining 25 suspects and searching about 200 locations. The army said it searched nine institutions linked to Hamas and confiscated materials.

In one raid, in the town of Dura near Hebron, Palestinian youths threw stones at soldiers, drawing army fire. A hospital official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to media, said 13-year-old Mohammed Dodeen was killed by a bullet in the chest. The official had earlier said he was 15.

The army also opened fire during a raid in the Qalandiya refugee camp, where three Palestinians were seriously wounded, said Ahmed Bitawi, director of Ramallah's hospital. One of the three, 23-year-old Mustafa Aslan, later died of his wounds.

The army confirmed soldiers used life fire, saying they were responding to life-threatening situations, and added that the troops engaged in sporadic confrontations during Friday's raids.

Palestinians threw homemade explosives, firebombs, fireworks and stones, the military said. In Qalandiya, a soldier was lightly hurt by a grenade thrown at troops, it said.

A senior Israeli intelligence officer said Friday that anyone linked to Hamas was potentially a target for arrest.

He acknowledged that despite recent government declarations of a major crackdown on Hamas, both Israel and Abbas' Palestinian Authority have already dismantled much of the movement's West Bank infrastructure in recent years.

"But there are a lot of small places that are supporting Hamas," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with military briefing regulations.

"We'll go to every place that has a sign of Hamas on it, and we're going to hit it. Whether it's small or large. We really don't look only for the big symbols. There are no big symbols ... the Palestinian Authority did it (the crackdown) before and we did it."

One of the locations targeted Thursday was the office of the Islamic student union at the West Bank's Bir Zeit University. A military spokesman said Hamas paraphernalia were confiscated as well as computers and databases, which are being searched.

Hamas activists said they had used the office to store materials for protests, such as flags and posters commemorating slain militants.

___

Associated Press writer Yousur Alhlou in Tel Aviv, Israel contributed to this report.

Michael Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, stunned the world, and sparked nostalgia for the singer's music that has transformed his image and catapulted his estate to the top of earnings charts. The success of the estate was not a foregone conclusion. By the time of his death at age 50, Jackson was deep in debt and his image was tarnished by child molestation allegations, despite his acquittal.

Here's a look at the estate and how it's refurbished Jackson's image to provide for his family in the past five years:

___

NOT ALL IN THE FAMILY

Jackson's 2002 will calls for his estate to support his mother, Katherine, and his three children, while leaving nothing for his siblings and his father.

The will also left Katherine Jackson as the primary caretaker of his children, Prince, Paris and Blanket. The four receive a stipend and the estate pays for the children's education, vacations, and a mansion in the celebrity enclave of Calabasas. Through the end of 2012, Jackson's estate paid nearly $20 million to support his mother and children.

___

STILL A CROWD PLEASER

Jackson's death returned him to the top of the record charts and quickly generated hundreds of millions of dollars through deals for new albums and a movie created from his final rehearsals for his planned "This Is It" comeback concerts.

Jackson's posthumous album "Xscape" debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 chart when it was released last month, and a touring Cirque du Soleil show based on his music has played nearly 500 shows. All that translates into major money for Jackson's estate, which generated more than $600 million in gross earnings through 2013.

___

HEIRS GROWING UP

Jackson shielded his children from the public eye when he was alive, but the trio are now familiar faces after appearing at memorials and award shows.

Blanket Jackson, 12, is looking forward to a summer of swimming and practices karate when he isn't in school, his cousin TJ Jackson said last month.

His older brother, Prince, 17, still has a love for film and is nearing the end of high school, although his specific plans haven't been revealed. Their sister Paris, 16, has been out of the public eye since being hospitalized after taking several tablets of aspirin and cutting herself with a knife last year, but TJ Jackson said she is doing fine.

___

WHO'S IN CHARGE

Jackson named attorney John Branca, who served as Jackson's lawyer during the singer's heyday, and family friend and music executive John McClain as the executors of his estate.

Branca is the public face of the estate, appearing at premieres of new Jackson events. McClain, who has suffered health problems in recent years, keeps a lower profile.

For their services, the men receive a percentage of the estate's earnings.

___

WHO'S GETTING THE MOST MONEY

So far, the biggest share of Jackson's estate hasn't gone to his family.

Instead, paying $91 million for taxes and business licenses proved to be the estate's biggest expense between June 2009 and January 2013. The executors of Jackson's estate have been paid more than $25 million in compensation, most of which came in the first year when large deals for new albums and the "This Is It" film were made. Lawyers for both the estate and Jackson's heirs were paid nearly $17.7 million between mid-2009 and the end of 2012.

WILDWOOD, N.J. (AP) — Two teenagers from Maryland have taken all the marbles.

Marilyn Fisher and Dominic Rudakevych of Middletown Valley won the 91st annual National Marbles Championship in Wildwood, New Jersey, on Thursday.

Forty-two boys and girls competed in the event, in which contestants shoot 13 target marbles outside a circle while trying to keep the shooter marble inside the ring.

Fisher defeated Kelsey Baran of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, to become queen of the tournament. Her brother was boys' champion last year.

Rudakevych beat Luke Gaffigan.

Rudakevych tells The Press of Atlantic City (http://bit.ly/1iqFBjW ) suspense is his favorite part of the game.

Fisher appreciates the skill needed to win.

The 13-year-olds received $2,000 scholarships, watches, trophies and crowns.

___

Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.), http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com

MANAUS, Brazil (AP) — With Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal still has a chance to reach the second round at the World Cup. Without him, the advantage might just switch to the United States.

Ronaldo has been carrying an injury to his left knee, and the world player of the year was seen using an ice pack on it during training on Wednesday. But he is still expected to play against the Americans on Sunday at the Arena da Amazonia in a match that Portugal can't afford to lose.

"Cristiano is 100 percent fit to play," backup Portugal goalkeeper Beto said this week. "Every match, if he starts to play, it is because he is fit to play."

The Portuguese lost 4-0 to Germany in their opening Group G match, with Ronaldo playing despite the injury.

The United States, however, is going in the other direction. After being knocked out of the last two World Cups by Ghana, the Americans beat the African team 2-1 in their opening match and could even secure a spot in the second round this weekend.

If Germany beats Ghana on Saturday, and the Americans find a way to win on Sunday, then Portugal and the Ghanaians will be eliminated.

Ronaldo could have something to say about that, however.

"It's going to be something that we're going to always be aware of him," United States midfielder Kyle Beckerman said. "Everybody's going to have to have an eye when we're on offense, on defense, and it's going to take 11 guys playing offense and defense to win this game."

Ronaldo has been one of the best players in the world for about a decade, and last year he even usurped Lionel Messi by ending the Argentina forward's streak of winning the FIFA Ballon d'Or.

He has also excelled on the world stage, helping Portugal reach the 2004 European Championship final and the 2006 World Cup semifinals. The team also advanced out of the group stage at both Euro 2008 and the last World Cup, and then reached the semifinals at Euro 2012.

"We have to be ready for him," United States defender Fabian Johnson said. "If he's going to play or not, we have to be ready for him."

Although the Americans won their opening match, the defense looked shaky as Ghana attacked throughout. They can expect more of the same from Portugal.

And that means something is probably going to have to change if they want to get all three points.

"Absolutely. I think our best defense is offense," Beckerman said. "We have to be extremely clean with the ball."

Portugal has several other world-class players in its squad, but not all of them will be available for the match against the Americans.

Defender Fabio Coentrao, Ronaldo's teammate at Real Madrid, has been ruled out of the rest of the World Cup with a muscle strain. And striker Hugo Almeida limped off mid-way through the first half against Germany with a muscle injury.

Pepe, another Real Madrid defender, is suspended.

The starting lineup, however, won't affect the team's need for points, or the Americans' game plan.

"We'll see what happens if they come out a little different because they need the win," Beckerman said. "We'll be ready for them trying to come after us or sitting back, either one. We've got to be ready for everything."

Blog Archive