Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

суббота

NEW YORK (AP) — All but closing the books on one of the most lurid crime cases in New York history, the city has agreed to a $40 million settlement with five men who were falsely convicted in the vicious 1989 rape and beating of a Central Park jogger, a city official said Friday.

The official had direct knowledge of the agreement but wasn't allowed to discuss it publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. City Comptroller Scott Stringer confirmed that a settlement had been reached but would not disclose the amount except to say that the $40 million figure was "in the ballpark."

The deal still needs final approval from the comptroller and a federal judge.

The five black and Hispanic defendants were found guilty as teenagers in 1990 in the attack on a white woman — an investment banker — who had gone for a run in the park.

With New York awash in murder and drugs at the time, the crime was seen as a terrifying symbol of the city's racial and class divide and evidence that it was sliding into lawlessness. The case gave rise to the term "wilding" for urban mayhem by marauding teenagers.

The defendants served six to 13 years in prison before their convictions were thrown out in 2002 because of evidence that someone else, acting alone, committed the crime. The five brought a $250 million civil rights lawsuit against police and prosecutors.

Civil rights activist the Rev. Al Sharpton said in a statement that the tentative settlement signifies "a monumental victory" for the men and their families.

"It is also a victory for those in the community that stood with them from day one and believed in their innocence in this case," Sharpton said. "As supporters, we were viciously attacked for standing with them, but we were on the right side of history."

The victim, Trisha Meili, then 28, was found in the brush, more than 75 percent of her blood drained from her body and her skull smashed. She was in a coma for 12 days, suffered permanent damage and remembers nothing about the attack.

Raymond Santana and Kevin Richardson, both 14 at the time, Antron McCray and Yusef Salaam, 15, and Korey Wise, 16, were rounded up and arrested. After hours of interrogation, four of them gave confessions on video.

At the trials, their lawyers argued the confessions were coerced. At the time, DNA testing was not sophisticated enough to make or break the case.

In 2002, a re-examination of the case found that DNA on the victim's sock pointed to Matias Reyes, a murderer and serial rapist who confessed that he alone attacked the jogger.

Then-District Attorney Robert Morgenthau stopped short of declaring the five innocent but withdrew all charges and did not seek a retrial. The statute of limitations for charging Reyes had run out; he is serving a life sentence for other crimes.

The case that stood as symbol of urban lawlessness became instead an example of a colossal breakdown in the legal system.

Jonathan C. Moore, a lawyer for the five men, declined to comment.

Andrew G. Celli, a lawyer who represented documentary filmmakers and others with an interest the case, welcomed news of a settlement.

"A settlement this large, this dynamic, will have an impact," he said. "It will cause police and prosecutors to think a bit more carefully about the ramifications of a particular investigation."

The AP does not usually identify victims of sexual assault, but Meili went public as a motivational speaker and wrote a book.

While the five men have been exonerated, some troubling questions persist: The two doctors who treated Meili after the attack said in recent interviews with The Wall Street Journal that some of her wounds were not consistent with Reyes' account.

The doctors said that should call into question Reyes' claim that he acted alone.

BOSTON (AP) — Nearly five years after a woman was charged with killing her 100-year-old roommate in a Massachusetts nursing home, a second-degree murder charge is still pending against her at the age of 102.

Laura Lundquist, diagnosed with dementia, was deemed incompetent to stand trial after she was charged with strangling Elizabeth Barrow, who was found in her bed with a plastic bag tied around her head.

Since then, the oldest murder defendant in the state's history has been held at a psychiatric hospital. Prosecutors say they don't expect the case to ever go to trial, but just in case, the murder charge remains on the books.

Barrow's son, Scott, says he has never pushed for Lundquist to be prosecuted.

"It would be like prosecuting a 2-year-old," he said in an interview Thursday. "It's just an awful thing that happened. How could she be held accountable for this when she's not in her right mind?"

After Lundquist was indicted in 2009 at age 98, Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter said prosecutors pursued a second-degree murder charge because they didn't believe Lundquist had the cognitive ability to form premeditation, which must be proven in a first-degree murder case.

Sutter's spokesman, Gregg Miliote, said the case remains open.

"Ms. Lundquist was deemed incompetent to stand trial, and we are told that is unlikely to change," Miliote said. "However, the court is updated on her competency every three months ... and if her competency to stand trial should change, the matter would move forward in the courts."

Scott Barrow is hoping a wrongful-death lawsuit he filed against the nursing home, its owners and operators will eventually be heard by a jury. In 2012, an arbitrator ruled in favor of the nursing home and found no negligence.

The Massachusetts Appeals Court heard arguments in the case in April and is expected to rule soon on whether it can go to trial.

Lundquist, in her paranoia, believed Elizabeth Barrow was trying to take over the room they shared at the nursing home, Sutter said after she was indicted. Lundquist told Barrow she would soon get her bed by the window because she would outlive her, he said.

Scott Barrow said he had asked nursing home staff to separate his mother and Lundquist, but they assured him the two were getting along. He said his mother did not want to leave the room because she and her husband had lived there together before he died in 2007.

Lundquist's lawyer, Carl Levin, declined to comment on Lundquist or her health, citing the ongoing criminal case and health care privacy laws.

After Lundquist was charged, Scott Picone, then the nursing home's chief of operations, said the two women had been offered room changes twice in the months before Barrow's death but both declined. He said the two women were friendly toward each other and often said "goodnight" and "I love you."

Picone did not immediately return a call seeking comment Friday. Peter Knight, a lawyer representing Picone and other nursing home officials in Barrow's lawsuit, also did not immediately return a call.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Like the vampires it portrays, "True Blood" won't seem to die. Even if it means breaking out in song.

After the final scene of the upcoming final season of "True Blood," fans may be able to take another fresh bite out of the HBO vampire drama.

In the works: "'True Blood': The Musical." Seriously.

"This was something that I pitched to HBO and (show creator) Alan Ball," said composer Nathan Barr, speaking on the arrivals line at the "True Blood" season premiere Tuesday night in Hollywood. Barr has written the instrumental scores for the series' entire seven seasons, the last of which debuts Sunday.

Barr said the musical will revolve around protagonist, telepath and waitress Sookie Stackhouse, portrayed in the series by Anna Paquin. But, Barr added, after seven seasons of twists, turns and characters for Sookie, it's proven a challenge to trim the saga down.

"I think we're really going to try to return to the roots of the show," Barr commented.

"True Blood" co-star Stephen Moyer, who showed off his vocal chops last year on NBC's highly rated live telecast of "The Sound of Music," revealed he helped Barr put together some samples of the "True Blood" musical presented to HBO and Ball.

Barr said he hopes to present a workshop version about a year from now, but he's not looking beyond that. To say this is "Broadway bound" is premature.

"There's no guarantees," the composer warned. "But I think the direction we're heading in is really exciting."

___

Online:

http://www.hbo.com/true-blood#/

___

Follow AP entertainment reporter Mike Cidoni Lennox on Twitter at www.twitter.com/cidonilennox

Many states around the U.S. have adopted policies that encourage the development of renewable energy. Lately, though, there's been a major push nationwide for states to repeal those policies. As Ohio Public Radio's Andy Chow reports, Ohio appears to be the first state to temporarily halt some of their standards for utilities.

Blog Archive