Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

понедельник

On why she left the Senate

"It was a hard, cold reality that descended upon me in a very short period of time, actually, because I had been fully immersed in running for re-election for the better part of two years, and traveling the country and of course my state. So I was essentially in a good place organizationally and financially to win re-election, but I became concerned about the tenor in the Senate, and what would transpire over the next six years. And came to the regrettable conclusion that it might not change.

"So then I began thinking about my role, and how I could best contribute. Was it better to work on the outside to reaffirm the voices of those people who are so frustrated and want things to change and want their government to work? And I thought that that's where I could best contribute at this stage of my life."

On one of her book's recommendations: a five-day workweek for Congress

"Isn't that amazing? To work a five-day workweek? Because what happens is that, you know, on Mondays — at least in the Senate — Monday night we'd have what you'd call a bedcheck vote. Just to get, you know, the machinery of the Senate up and running so that we can start the committee process on Tuesday morning ...

"By Thursday, you know, jet fumes. The smell of jet fumes ... Everybody's heading home, wanting to know when they can adjourn on Thursday so they can leave. [This] very short version of a workweek; makes it very difficult to deal with complex issues. And basically they're not even getting the routine matters of business accomplished. We can't pass a budget! Which is preposterous."

On whether she's worried that the gridlock in the Senate can't be fixed

"I don't worry about that. I never think about what I can't do. No, absolutely not. It has to change, for the country. People deserve ... better representation. They deserve institutions that are going to solve problems. That means the president and the Congress have to work hand-in-glove and, override their political differences or their political ambitions for the sake of the country. There's never a point now where they put the politics behind them. I mean they're already talking about the 2016 presidential campaign! We just had an election. Can we now concentrate on the future of this country?"

Read an excerpt of Fighting for Common Ground

Blog Archive