Ïîïóëÿðíûå ñîîáùåíèÿ

среда

Clockwise from top left: Dr. Simi Mahesh examines a patient. A chart shows the number of abortions performed at the clinic. Illiterate patients sign the consent form with a thumbprint. Palo Khoya waits with the doctor's assistant. Poulomi Basu for NPR hide caption

itoggle caption Poulomi Basu for NPR

Dr. Mahesh prepares to carry out an abortion for Palo Khoya. "They just come because they don't want to continue the pregnancy," the doctor says. "They're not bothered whether it's legal or not legal. But we're doing awareness campaigns to tell them it's legal, it's not wrong, to get rid of the stigma attached to it." Poulomi Basu for NPR hide caption

itoggle caption Poulomi Basu for NPR

i i

Palo Khoya, in the operating room, explains her decision: "I got an abortion because I have two little children and I would like them to grow up a little more before I can think of conceiving again and have a third and fourth child," Khoya said. Poulomi Basu for NPR hide caption

itoggle caption Poulomi Basu for NPR

Palo Khoya, in the operating room, explains her decision: "I got an abortion because I have two little children and I would like them to grow up a little more before I can think of conceiving again and have a third and fourth child," Khoya said.

Poulomi Basu for NPR

Poulomi Basu for NPR

Dr. Simi Mahesh and Palo Khoya talk after the abortion. "I was traumatized and terrified, wondering whether I would be in massive pain," Khoya says. "The doc reassured me and carried out the abortion safely." She now visits the doctor regularly for family planning advice. "Women don't know the methods [of family planning]," Dr. Mahesh says. "So the key is educating women." Poulomi Basu for NPR hide caption

itoggle caption Poulomi Basu for NPR

Poulomi Basu is a documentary photographer based in New Delhi, India. She is part of the VII Photo Agency Mentor Program.

family planning

India

abortion

Blog Archive